Whole-Wheat Dinner Buns
Prep 1HR 45M | Bake 20M | Enjoy in 2HR 5M
The combination of the whole wheat and all purpose flour makes these buns both nutty and fluffy. Best served fresh out of the oven.
2 ½ tsp (1 pkg) instant (quick rise) yeast
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ cups warm water (about 40°C/100°F)
1 large egg
¼ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose, divided
2 ½ cups 100% whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, gently stir yeast, sugar and water. Allow to sit until yeast dissolves and mixture is slightly frothy, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat the egg, canola oil and salt. Stir into the yeast mixture. Add 1 ½ cups (375 mL) of the all-purpose flour and all of the whole wheat flour. Mix well until the flour is combined.
- Turn onto a floured work surface. Dough will be slightly sticky. Gradually knead in the last ½ cup (125 mL) of all-purpose flour and knead until dough feels elastic and smooth about 5 minutes. Divide into 12 balls by forming dough into a large ball and pinching it in two using your thumb and index finger; pinch each half into two again and then each quarter into three. Roll into loose, smooth balls.
- Place balls into a greased 9×13 inch (23cm × 33cm) pan. Cover with a clean tea towel, place in an area free of drafts, and let rise for 1 ½ hours. Preheat oven to 350’F (180’C) before placing buns in to bake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are golden brown and when tapped the buns sound slightly hollow. Turn the buns out onto a cooling rack.