Whole Wheat Pizza Roll Ups
Prep 10M | Cook 35M | Enjoy in 1H 15M
These veggie-loaded rolls are a healthier version of a kid classic. Make these pizza rolls on the weekend and heat them up as a quick lunch or snack throughout the week.
1 tbsp canola oil
½ cup spinach
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped mushroom
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped carrot
¼ cup chopped zucchini
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup marinara sauce
2 cups whole wheat flour (+ ¼ cup extra, to help with kneading)
1¼ tsp instant quick rise yeast
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup pepperoni, thinly sliced or other meat (chicken, ham, cooked ground beef, etc.)
2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach, peppers, mushrooms, onion, carrots, zucchini, garlic and marinara sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Blend sauce in a food processor until smooth. You may also use an immersion blender to purée sauce. Set aside.
- Combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt in bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine warm water and oil. Add to flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. If dough is too sticky, add more flour 1-2 tbsp at a time during kneading.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Allow to sit in a warm area until dough has doubled in volume, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Roll the dough out to a ½” thick square.
- Spread tomato sauce over the dough. Add pepperoni slices in a single layer. Sprinkle with 1½ cups of the cheese.
- Roll the dough up and slice into 10-12 pieces. Place into a greased muffin tin and sprinkle each piece with remaining cheese, dividing equally.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Serves 10 (1 roll per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
12 g fat
14 g protein
23 g carbohydrate (22 g available carbohydrate)
1 g fibre
400 mg sodium