Wholehearted Wheatberry Salad by GetJoyFull
Prep 40M | Cool 30M | Enjoy in 1Hr 10M
Crunchy edamame, crisp bell peppers, and fresh herbs tossed in a citrus vinaigrette with tender, hearty wheat berries …Delicious!
Recipe developed, and quality tested by:
Ingredients for salad:
1 cup wheat berries
3 cups water
1 cup edamame
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
¼ cup chopped nuts (walnut, pecan or almonds)
1 green onion
2 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp mint
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for dressing:
½ cup blood orange olive oil (Find at your location Italian market or substitute regular olive oil)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 tbsp honey
- Rise berries under cold water. Place in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cover with a lid.
- After 30 minutes, check for doneness. Continue to cook and check every 5 minutes until desired texture (approximate 25 – 35 minutes depending on the variety of wheat berry).
- Drain the berries and transfer to a bowl to cool. Make the night before and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients OR layer each ingredient in mason jars for a portable picnic salad on the go.
- In another small bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let chill for 30 minutes before serving.
For more great recipes like this one, visit GetJoyFull.