Prep 5M | Bake 40M | Enjoy in 45M
These are moist inside, like a Yorkshire pudding with a crisp exterior, like a popover. Fill with stews, gravy and sauces. If you have little ones in the kitchen, you can entertain them with the oven light on to watch the show as the batter rises way up high. The tops fall as the popovers cool, making a well for the filling.
1 ½ cups all purpose wheat flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Lightly grease and flour 12 small or six large ½ cup muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk flour and salt. In another bowl whisk eggs and milk. Add wet to dry ingredients, and whisk until just blended smooth. Do not over beat, which will make the popovers dense and not rise as high.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin cups, about 2/3 full. Bake for 10 minutes. Without opening the oven to peek, reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking for 15 minutes, until golden brown and tops are firm to the touch.
- Cool slightly and remove, with a spoon or spatula from the muffin cup. With the sharp point of a knife, make a slit in each popovers side to release steam and prevent collapse. Serve immediately.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.