Prep 25M | Cook 25M | Enjoy in 50M
The secret to these bakery-style brownies? Zucchini and applesauce to keep them moist! There may be vegetables in this recipe, but these rich dark chocolate brownies are not short on decadence. This recipe is part of our February meal plan.
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
3 cups shredded zucchini
¾ cup dark chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl whisk together applesauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa powder, flaxseed, baking soda and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Mixture will be very dry.
- Fold in zucchini by hand. Allow batter to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips and stir again. Batter should appear more wet. If not, let it rest for 5 more minutes and stir again.
- Spread brownie mixture in a lightly greased, parchment-paper lined 9 x 13-inch pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with a few small crumbs, about 25-35 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 20 (1 brownie per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
6 g fat
3 g protein
25 g carbohydrate (22 g available carbohydrate)
3 g fibre
187 mg sodium